This seminar, organised by the SAL’s Professional Affairs Committee’s Professional Development and Practice Chapter (PDPC), is for trial lawyers of all seniority. Attendees will obtain insight into what to do and what not to do in Court from our distinguished panel from the Bench. Questions that will be dealt with include:
• Can I tell the Judge that his questions are interfering with my cross-examination?
• What do Judges look for in the opening and closing statements?
• Skeletal or written submissions – what persuades / irritates Judges?
• What should I do if the Judge has raised a point not raised by Counsel?
• Should I concede if my client’s case on specific points is weak or should I continue to press on boldly and throw in the kitchen sink?
• Should I do formal puts at the end of my cross-examination?